(602) 995-5045

Why Floss?

There is an age-old saying in the dental field: “You only need to floss the teeth you want to keep.”
What exactly does that mean?
Using only a toothbrush alone, you are cleaning up to 65% of our teeth. That means, unless you floss, you are leaving 35% of your teeth dirty. This plaque, as we call it, is what we remove when brushing and flossing. If it is left on the tooth surface it starts to calcify and form the calculus (build up) which can not be removed with a soft brush or floss. When the calculus sits underneath the gums, it acts just like a rock in your shoe. Calculus irritates the gums and causes them to swell and bleed. Ever wonder what all the scraping is when you get your teeth cleaned? That’s your Hygienist using special instruments to remove the calculus. At Arizona Periodontal Group, our Hygienists are specially trained to target those hard to reach areas along and underneath the gum line. If the calculus is attached to the tooth for too long it can start to damage the area which can lead to tooth loss. We always recommend that our patients have cleanings anywhere from three to six months depending on how quickly their mouths develop calculus.
Dr. Trujillo welcomes all new patients in our office, even if you just need a cleaning. A combination of consistent and adament home care, along with regular cleanings with your Hygienist will give you many more years to enjoy your teeth!

Posted in Dentistry, Flossing

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Start your day with a beautiful smile.

When you visit our office, your oral health is our top priority. Dr. Trujillo and his entire team is dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve.