After your laser gum treatment in Phoenix there are some information you should know and instructions that are important to follow.
- Do no be alarmed with any color changes or appearance of tissue following laser therapy. Tissues can be gray, yellow, red, blue, purple, stringy, and reflect normal response to laser treatments.
- Reduce activity for several hours following the treatment.
- It is OK to spit, rinse, and wash your mouth today. Rinse as directed with Peridex or Periogard morning and night. In between, it is OK to rinse gently every 3 hours with warm salt water. Do not chew on the side of your mouth which has been treated.
- Do no eat spicy or excessively hot foods.
- Try to keep your mouth as clean as possible in order to help the healing process. You may brush and floss in areas of your mouth that we DID NOT do treatment.
DO NOT BRUSH AND FLOSS THE TREATED AREA FOR 2 WEEKS AFTER THE LAST SURGICAL VISIT! ONLY RINSE!
- Do not apply excessive tongue or cheek pressure to the surgical area.
- Do not be alarmed if you notice any of the following:
- Light bleeding
- Slight swelling
- Some soreness, tenderness, or tooth sensitivity
- Medicinal taste from mouth rinse
- Swelling may possibly occur. You may place ice on the outside of your face for 20 minutes each hour. Do not use an ice pack after the first day.
- Some oozing of blood may occur. You may place pressure on these areas with a wet tea bag. If you feel you are having excessive bleeding, please call our office.
- It is very important to maintain a good food and fluid intake. Try to eat soft but nutritious food such as eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, etc, until you can comfortable return to a normal diet.
- If medications have been prescribed, take exactly as directed.
- Do no be alarmed if your teeth become sore,tender, or sensitive as the bone and ligament around the teeth regenerate. This is a sign of healing, but also indicates the presences of a bite imbalance that needs to be adjusted.
- Please call the office (602) 459-9479 so that we may render further treatment if any of the following occurs:
- Prolonged or severe pain
- Prolonged or excessive bleeding
- Considerable elevated or persistent temperature
The first three days following Laser Therapy, follow only a liquid like diet to allow healing. Anything that could be put into a blender to drink is ideal. The purpose of this is to protect the clot that is acting as a band-aid between the gum and the teeth. Do not drink through a straw, as this creates a vacuum in your mouth that can disturb the clot.
The next four days after treatment, foods with a mushy consistency are recommended such as:
- Cream of wheat, oatmeal, malt o meal
- Mashed potatoes or baked potatoes are okay with butter/sour cream
- Mashed banana, mashed avocado, applesauce, or any mashed/blended fruit except berries with seeds
- Broth or creamed soup
- Mashed steamed vegetables
- Cottage cheese, cream or soft cheese
- Creamy peanut butter without solid pieces
- Eggs any style with our without melted cheese
- Omelets with cheese or avocado
- Jello pudding, ice cream, yogurt
- Milk shake, smoothies are OK to blend with fruit except berries with seeds
- Ensure, Slim-Fast, any nutritional drinks
DON’T chew gum, candy, cookies, chips, nuts, anything hard or crunchy, anything that has seeds or hard pieces, meet that shreds and can lodge under the gum and between teeth, raw vegetables or salad.
Starting seven to ten days after treatment, mushy, soft foods are allowable. Soft foods have the consistency of pasta, fish, chicken or steamed vegetables. You may then gradually add back your regular diet choices.
Please remember that even after ten days, healing is not complete. The first month following treatment you should continue to make smart food choices. Softer foods are better.
Once you have had LANAP in Phoenix it is very important to follow the above instructions by Dr. Trujillo. Please refer to him if you have any questions or concerns.