There is a direct correlation between your dental health and your overall health. The condition of your mouth is a good way to tell what kind of health a person is in. Our mouths can give us warning signs of what is going on and how we may be feeling. One of the major warning signs of gum disease is having receding gums.
When bacteria- containing plaque builds up on the gums and teeth, it causes inflammation so severe that it can actually start to destroy gum tissue. This can lead to your gums pulling away from your teeth, exposing the roots, and can start the development of small pockets that hold harmful bacteria. These pockets can cause increased inflammation and creating more harm that can be detrimental to your overall health!
Causes of Receding Gums
Those with poor oral hygiene or periodontal disease can have receding gums. However those that have healthy oral hygiene may get it as well. Here are some other causes, that can sometimes lead to gum recession, to be aware of:
- Physical wear of the gums caused by over-brushing and vigorous brushing and the use of hard bristles
- Inherited factors such as position of the teeth and gum thickness
- Lip or tongue piercings
- Misaligned teeth
- Damaged teeth from dental treatment
- Delicate gum tissue
Gum recession is not something everyone typically gets. But if you do notice that your gums are receding or have increased sensitivity give Arizona Periodontal Group a call today. It’s important that you start gum recession treatment in Phoenix right away. An innovative treatment that Dr. Trujillo offers is the Pinhole Surgical Technique.
While traditional treatment for receding gums requires cutting and creating sutures, the pinhole surgical technique only requires one tiny hole in the gum tissue. This less-invasive procedure starts by gently repositioning gum tissue through the tiny hole to cover the root of the teeth that has been exposed. It takes less than an hour and can be done on multiple teeth at once.
The Pinhole Surgical Technique offers many benefits such as:
- No cutting or stitching required. Not only is this less-invasive but it also reduces the risk of infection or complications.
- No gum grafts. No extra cuts into your soft palate creating a graft.
- Discomfort is minimal. Rarely is there any discomfort reported by our patients following treatment.
- Quick recovery time. This procedure brings much quicker healing time and you will be able to return to your daily activities immediately.
Pinhole Surgical Technique offered at our Phoenix dental practice is the procedure you need to treat gum recession. Schedule an appointment with us today! We can answer any questions that you have and we look forward to your visit.