Importance of Regular Dental Checkups
Routine dental check-ups help patients maintain a healthy mouth & smile!
For a lot of patients, when they were younger, had their parents make sure that they went to see a dentist on a regular basis. However, when they got older, and they start to take care of their own oral hygiene, and dental appointments can naturally start to get fewer and fewer. It’s not until a severe dental problem such as a lost tooth, gum disease, or injury will cause patients to finally come in and see a dentist. However, by the time that this problem has arisen, the teeth are in bad condition and the recommended treatment can end up being a quite expensive procedure. Regular dental checkups also can prevent the need to visit a specialist like Phoenix Periodontist Dr. Trujillo where treatments such as dental implants, LANAP, or the Pinhole Surgical Technique may have to be performed to repair and heal the damage.
Dr Trujillo and the team at Arizona Periodontal Group in Phoenix, know how important it is to have regular dental checkups. We value dental check-ups highly because it helps patients maintain a healthy mouth. We know that a lot of patients are worried about going to the dentist and it’s a place they tend to avoid, which is why they often put-off regular dental check-ups. However, it is vital that you visit your general dentist for a regular checkup to ensure proper health. To ease your dental visit many dentists now provide sedation dentistry as an option for patients who feel uncomfortable while visiting the dentist.
Why Are Regular Dental Check-Ups So Important?
So, we don’t expect you to simply take our word when we say that dental checkups are of huge importance. Let’s take a look at some of the different reasons why a dental checkup is important.
- Lymph Node, Neck, and Head Checks - Your general dentist will check your lymph nodes, as well as your jaw and neck for any abnormalities such as lumps or any swelling. If an issue is detected, this could be an indication of a major health issue. If any are detected your dentist will then inform you of the relevant medical professional that you should see in order to get this issue checked out. If you do not have frequent dental checkups, our thyroid and neck glands are not being checked by a considerable degree.
- Find Issues Under The Surface - At your regular dental checkup your dentists will be able to find issues under the surface of your mouth with x-rays. A crucial part of visiting your dentist twice a year is ensuring that they x-ray your jaw bone and your teeth. These images give the dentist the ability to discover if there are any issues that simply cannot be seen by the naked eye. A good example of this would be bone loss which can lead to tooth loss. There may need to be a Bone Graft to restore the lost bone.
- Keep Bad Habits In Check - Another reason why you should make sure you have regular dental check-ups is because this is a good way to keep bad habits in check that will have a negative impact on your health. Smoking is the most common one. However, other examples including drinking a lot of red wine and coffee, as well as brushing your teeth too hard, grinding your teeth, clenching your jaw, biting your nails, and chewing ice. If you go for regular dental checkups, your dentist will be able to monitor the condition of your teeth to see how your habits are having an impact. And if there is a need to intervene.
- Gum Disease - Another important reason why you need to make sure you see a dentist regularly is because they will be able to pick up on any early signs of gum disease. Gum disease is something that impacts millions of Americans. However, a lot of patients do not realise that they are suffering from it. One of the main reasons for this is because the symptoms can be so subtle to begin with. For example, you may have a bit of bleeding when you brush your teeth and have simply thought nothing else of it. However, gum disease can result in bad infections and receding gums when not treated. If not treated, gum disease can even lead to tooth loss. Therefore, the sooner it is treated, the better!
- Cavities, Tartar, & Plaque - In addition to the examples that have already been mentioned, regular dental cleaning is important to ensure that plaque and tartar are dealt with. Dentists will ensure that tartar is prevented from eroding your teeth and creating holes in them, which is how cavities are created. Cavities do not often give any warning indications as they form. Instead, once the tooth is decayed, there will be a small amount of pain, and by this point, it is usually too late. However, with regular dental checkups, you can make sure it does not get to this stage.
- Oral Cancer Detection - Last but not least, there is no denying that one of the most critical reasons why you need regular dental appointments is because dentists are trained to pick up on the signs of oral cancer. Cancer is a scary condition, which spreads at a rapid pace, and so early detection is everything.
Remember Arizona Periodontal Group
If your dentist recommends that you visit a specialist to treat any gum disease, gum recession, a bone graft, or dental implants remember Arizona Periodontal Group. Dr. Trujillo is an experienced Phoenix Periodontist>/a> who has years of experience in helping patients restore their smile, and their health. Patients have had many positive experiences working with our practice and we know that you will too. We are delighted to say that 96 percent of our patients would recommend us! If you have any questions about the procedures we provide, Or are interested in scheduling an appointment you can give us a call (602) 459 9617 or book an appointment online. Our dental staff will be more than happy to assist you! We look forward to you visiting our office!.
Start your day with a beautiful smile.
When you visit our office, your oral health is our top priority. Dr. Trujillo and his entire team is dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve.